Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Age of Miracles

by Karen Thompson Walker

I bought a beautiful hardback copy of this book, signed by the author, in a little New York bookshop on my recent trip back East. I know they say not to judge a book by its cover, but I believe that the outside of a BOOK often reflects the style and story telling ability of the author... and so I do judge by the cover and title. So I have to say that I was predisposed to like this book, based on my first impression. And I will say that Walker's debut novel did not disappoint me.

The story follows young Julia and her Southern Californian family as they face the everyday complications of life and love, all while dealing with the "slowing" of the earth. After years of destruction, the planet has finally slowed its rotation, meaning that the sun now stays out for days, and nights may last for weeks. Plants can no longer thrive, gravity has changed, and societal structures are fluctuating.

There are some conflicting reviews of this book, but I find that most of them are due to the fact that unaware readers were expecting some high paced, apocalyptic novel. Rather than the "2012" end of the world story, Walker delivers a coming of age story in a completely unique scenario. In fact, I find that the slow pace of Earth's destruction is more terrifying than any sudden end. For example, Julia's young love interest Seth, is fascinated by death due to his mother's lost battle with cancer. They frequently play the "Would you rather...?" game, and Seth always chooses the quickest way to go, believing that the waiting is the hardest part. And just as his mother fought for years, so too will every character in our story. They go on with their lives, day in and out, but with the knowledge that there might not be many days left.... that they will have to fight for each and every day that they get. And somehow, they become accustomed to this struggle. The story focuses not on the end of the world, but on family dynamics, and how individuals respond to situations that test their character. Julia simply relates the events of the initial slowing of our planet, with hints as to what the future may bring for humankind.... but in the end, many questions remain unanswered.Walker's storytelling manages to be both whimsical and somehow melancholy, and although I finished this book several days ago, I have been haunted by the grief for the world Julia once knew, and the life she may never have.

No comments:

Post a Comment