Monday, May 16, 2011

Dead Reckoning

by Charlaine Harris

This is the eleventh book in the Sookie Stackhouse series (AKA True Blood). I started reading these books on my Hawaiian vacation a year ago, and blasted through them. I actually made my family go to the book store on our tropical vacation so that I could get the next one in the series. Once you pick up one of these books, you cannot stop. However, for my second review in a row.... I have to admit that I was slightly disappointed. It seems that the main character Sookie is forever re-evaluating her life, wishing that it was different... but never actually making the changes that she needs to build the life that she wants. As a reader, it is beginning to get incredibly frustrating. The Sookie I loved from the early books is slowly disappearing... no more words of the day or believing in the best of people. I suppose this is simply the result of the darkness she finds herself surrounded by, but I would like for just one thing to go right for her and restore her sense of hope.  That said, I still recommend the series (it is 180 degrees from the True Blood television series), and feel like this book laid some important groundwork for what is to come next.

No comments:

Post a Comment