Thursday, September 8, 2011

13 Reasons Why

by Jay Asher

I actually read this book in July while I was on my vacation. I'm not quite sure why it has taken me so long to get around to writing a review, but this book has crossed my mind nearly a hundred times between finishing it and putting down these words. The premise (I'm not giving away any spoilers) is certainly unique: a young high school boy (Clay) receives a set of tapes in which Sarah reveals the "thirteen reasons why" she committed suicide. While it sounds like a story that may romanticize the idea of suicide, it really deals with the people left behind and the horrible things they experience, while also addressing the prevalent issue of bullying among high school students today. Clay becomes the readers guide through the grief, anger and confusion of being called to put together the puzzle pieces and carry on. Truly, the most shocking aspect of this book to me was the bullying and teasing that was illustrated among the students. I'm pretty sure I don't remember people being so fantastically cruel when I was in high school, but the world has changed a lot in the last 10 years. Thirteen Reasons Why is definitely a book that teenagers (and even adults years out of high school) can relate to and empathize with. So many teenagers have been "saved" by reading this, and "the reason why" isn't hard to see after a solid afternoon spent drawn into the story.

1 comment:

  1. I felt the book was unusual in that while people bullied her, it also pointed out that other people tried to help her at various times, and she refused their help. An interesting book.

    ReplyDelete