Friday, January 6, 2012

2012! (And One Day)

     Welcome to 2012! How's the view? My year's started off with a bang! But today I was suddenly sidelined by a head cold. But since I'm a glass half full kind of girl... this means plenty of time  for reading! So now I'm two books in the first six days of the year.
      My first book of the year was one I have been waiting to read since LAST year. In fact, I put myself on the waiting list at something like #134 at the library to get it. It never happened. So which book had me on hold for months... and months... and months? One Day by David Nicholls. My book-lover f(r)iend Steph recommended it to me even further back, but I put it on the back burner until I saw the preview for the movie. Since it was unavailable though, this is one of the few books that I have ever read AFTER seeing the movie, which was surprisingly faithful to the book. The book is based on the idea of taking a look at the lives of two people on the same day, every year over the course of their relationship. The book does such an amazing job at conveying the depth of the relationship and feelings between our two main characters, Emma & Dexter. An aspect of this was missing in the movie, as their thought processes are something that could never be conveyed on the screen. The movie version also portrays Emma as completely flawless, where this is clearly not the case in One Day. In fact, it is their flaws and imperfections that help them balance each other. This was a beautiful story of friendship, love, and heart ache. While my sister (who read it way back) thought the ending was disappointing (to say the least) , I thought it very fitting to the tone of the story. Two thumbs up. And now, the movie is #1 on my Netflix list, so I can refresh my memory, and re-live the story once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment