Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Lover's Dictionary

by David Levithan

I read about this book a while back, and was completely wrapped up in the idea of it. So when I was shopping at my favorite store in the world (Anthropologie!) and found it on sale, in hardback.... I took it as a sign. NOW is the time to read it. And read it I did... in two hours. Turns out it's a very quick read, which leaves you all no excuse to do the same.

This is Levithan's first departure from the young adult fiction that he is so well known for (e.g. Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist), and has gained a lot of positive attention. He takes a  unique look at love, using the dictionary format as a window into a relationship. Each vocabulary word is "defined" by a word, sentence, or page that is comprised of his thoughts and memories from one relationship. He uses these words to paint the joy, heartbreak, anger and depth of love. In this case, I will let some of his dictionary entries speak for themselves.

From The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan:

"ineffable, adj.: These words will ultimately end up being the barest of  reflections, devoid of the sensations words cannot convey. Trying to write about love is ultimately like trying to have a dictionary represent life. No matter how many words there are, there will never be enough." (p.120)

"abstraction, n.: Love is one kind of abstraction. And then there are those nights when I sleep alone, when I curl into a pillow that isn't you, when I hear the tiptoe sounds that aren't yours. It's not as if I can conjure you there completely. I must embrace the idea of you instead." (p. 5)

"deciduous, adj.: I couldn't believe one person could own so many shoes, and still buy new ones every year." (p. 69)

This book is one of a kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment