Friday, January 25, 2013

Gone Girl

by Gillian Flynn

Have you heard of this book? If not, have you been living under a rock? I've been surrounded by whispered conversations about this book for MONTHS now and decided to finally get in on the action. There's nothing I hate more than not being able to partake in a bookish discussion. Well, almost nothing...  Honestly, I can't tell you much about the book without giving away some critical plot points. And since not many people in the world are spoiler whores like myself, I will hold back and offer just a few thoughts. In Gone Girl, we begin by following a man (Nick) who finds that his wife (Amy) is missing. The drama just builds from this point. Although the beginning was a little slow (filled with marital back story and strife), as soon as I hit the first twist I couldn't put the book down. Oh yes, there are plenty of twists. At the core of it all, Flynn deals with questions like: "How well can you really know another person?", "What are the boundaries within marriage?", "Can you love someone without conditions?". To borrow Nick's words, the relationship between these two bizarre people is "catastophically romantic". Catastrophically. Twisted. Toxic. Did I reveal too much? Now, please read this so that we can have a real discussion on the topic. Call me when you're done. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment