Thursday, March 21, 2013

Just One Day

by Gayle Forman

I have been looking forward to this book for ages, simply because Gayle Forman wrote one of my favorite book series of all time, If I Stay and Where She Went.
    (Evidence: http://breadofbooks.blogspot.com/2011/06/where-she-went.html).
Although her writing is intended to be "young adult" literature, the themes and heart of her stories speak to readers of all ages. In this new book duet (the sequel Just One Year will be out this fall), we follow Allyson as she gets caught up in a whirlwind European romance with Willem. In "just one day", she falls in love and discovers her true self. But when Willem disappears the next morning, Allyson is left to deal with the fall out. As she heads off to her freshman year at college back at home, we join her on a journey of self-discovery. Anyone who has left the nest for the first time can identify with Allyson's struggle developing her own identity apart from her overprotective parents and familiar surroundings. As she grows into herself, she begins a search for the truth of what happened to Willem.... and the ending will have you biting your lip (like myself), as you realize you have to wait months to find out what happens to these two characters! Yes, MONTHS. (I should have heeded my sisters advice and waited to read this until the sequel was already out... I'm not known for my patience.) While this story did not have the same depth as If I Stay, it certainly pulled me in. And if Gayle Forman follows her previous pattern, then the sequel is sure to be even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment