Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance

by Atul Gawande

If you told me that I would enjoy a book written by a surgeon, I would probably snicker a little bit when you turned away. I read surgeon's notes every day at work - they are dry, incredibly over-descriptive, and not all that mind-consuming, honestly. But my sister gave me two of Gawande's works, and after reading the first (Complications), I was hooked. Better is a book that focuses on improvement, on moving forward, and how best to do it. As someone in the medical world, I found it very interesting and applicable to my work. But Gawande gives examples and suggestions that can apply to everyone in any field or life-stage. His use of real-life case studies makes the possibly dry topic of improvement actually engaging. He writes using interesting case studies to demonstrate his points, including: infections and handwashing, vaccinations in the third world, military medical care in the field, ethical decisions and malpractice, cystic fibrosis, and childbirth... to mention a few. He advocates being open to change, always looking for areas in which you can grow and improve in your practice and as a human being. For example, one point that has really stuck with me since reading this is his section on "diligence". In my profession as a nurse, there are many little seemingly minor actions and procedures that we must follow a million times a day. But every little action contributes to the well-being of my patients, I must be diligent in my practice. I also must be diligent in my life, to work hard to accomplish the tasks I have undertaken, to be persistent. Gawande has seen and learned so much, through his writing I feel that he must be one of the most interesting men alive. The book really is not so much about only improving the medical practice, but improving as humans. Gawande has a great deal of insight to offer, and I would happily give either of his books to any friend of mine, regardless of their interest in medical affairs/cases. I think we can all find something to learn from in his works.

1 comment:

  1. I think a lot of his insights about how to improve medical care can be applied to multiple fields. Also, if I lose all me limbs and my guts have spilled out everywhere and I can't see, please just let me die.

    ReplyDelete